2009年3月5日星期四

Feet on the ground in amsterdam




So I hop on my bike and head for Dam Square. Dam Square is the epicenter of Amsterdam. This is the place you start, finish or pass through while sightseeing. I really like the area of town called Leliegracht. This area is in the canal belt and is filled with quaint shops, cafes, bookshops, galleries and rolling streets with picturesque bridges. I think its a great place to base from to see the city because its a quiet area a night but only steps from the main areas. I spend the rest of the day just getting re acquainted with the city; the weather is mild, a little overcast and about 55 degrees. The first night in any city I travel to is the Jet Lag night... this means using all of my energy to stay awake until at least 10 pm. My body clock is 9 hours off back in PST so every atom in my bod wants to sleep.

Travel TIP: Don't plan any organized or paid sightseeing such as a tour on your arrival day; chances are you will be so fuzzy from the long flight and 9 hour time change that you wont remember a thing. My advise is get there, unpack, shower and head out getting to know the neighorhood around your hotel. Find the basics for a comfortable stay.. IE closest shop for soda, water and snacks. Closest ATM, cafe for a good cup of joe and place to grab dinner. This way you have a basic understanding of your surroundings and it helps keep you awake after you land.

Amsterdam has a ton of Gyro shops that make for a great, yummy fast meal. Shaved lamb, three different types of sauces, simple salad and flat bread made a perfect jet lag day dinner. Hit the sack, hoping for 12 hours of sleeping bliss to make up for the lost day of travel; it should get me back on local time quickly.

0 评论:

发表评论